I’M SO HAPPY WE ARE PLAYING B1G FOOTBALL ONCE AGAIN. THE YEAR WOULDN’T FEEL COMPLETE WITHOUT AN 11AM WILDCATS – TERRAPINS GAME AT RYAN FIELD IN 50 DEGREE WEATHER. INJECT IT INTO MY VEINS PLS.
I AM OPTIMISTIC ABOUT NORTHWESTERN FOOTBALL IN 2020. HERE ARE 6 REASONS WHY I THINK WE COULD DO WELL THIS YEAR!!!
1. We have more returning players than any team in the B1G – in fact, we have the most returning production in the nation. This was true at least until Rashawn Slater decided to opt for the NFL. Great decision btw. I’m assuming this stat is still true but I’m too lazy to double check.
2. We have a competent QB. I always liked Peyton Ramsey at Indiana. He can run, he can throw a decent ball, and he makes good decisions. Not flashy, not incredible, not insane. But solid. And solid is a huge upgrade over the heaping pile of dog shit that took snaps for us last year.
3. We have one of the easiest schedules in the B1G. We avoid Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan – the three best teams in the East. There really isn’t a terrifying single game on our schedule, or a terrifying stretch of games. The schedule is well balanced to the point where the toughest two games we play back to back are @MSU and @Minnesota – not fun but manageable.
4. Who cares if there aren’t fans? NU has a home field disadvantage anytime we play a powerhouse school. So no fans may actually help us at home. And on the road, it’s definitely a help to us. Playing a game at Kinnick just won’t be as intimidating this year.
5. We’re nerdier than other schools which equates to less chance of our players getting the rona. I’d say JK LOL but I think there is a bit of truth to that. Let’s be honest, the party situation at NU is lacking compared to pretty much every other B1G school. Less saliva swapping imo. Plus NU is again ranked as a top 10 school in the country. That means our players will make good decisions right? Though perhaps we should have followed LSU’s lead and just infected every kid earlier in the year to build up those antibodies.
6. We have one less B1G game to play during the regular season. Smaller sample size favors the underdog. It inserts more randomness into the equation. Less games mean less chance for the ‘Cats to eff it up. Less is more in 2020. Let’s just be happy we have ‘Cats football at all!